The first thing I did was to cover the busts with torn paper and pva glue.
You can see that I wasn't too careful about how I applied it. The only thing I did was to make sure it covered the whole of the busts and that I didn't use coloured newsprint.
It was at this point that the very important next step had to be followed. This is the most important step of any re purposing, up cycling or generally faffing about with bits and bobs. - HAVE A CUP OF TEA AND WAIT FOR THINGS TO DRY!
Next I applied some old emulsion paint - I applied it with a dry brush and quite sparingly. Once this was dried I added some gold paint detailing before waiting for it dry once again.
The final stage was to brush varnish over the whole thing - I chose one with quite a light stain this time in the past I have used one with a darker stain for a more aged effect. Wait for it to dry and dress it with some of your lovely handmade jewellery!